(This is a joint post by ‘D’ n me and it is a take on our looong, entertaining cab drives after looong hours in the office.)
(Any resemblance to persons living or living but seem dead are purely intentional. Sue me if you must.)
Things to remember on your cab drive home:
Always hold on to something.
Never forget that cab drivers are F1 drivers in disguise.
Always repeat the directions thrice (eg. Left leeft LEEEFT!!!).
Always remember Indiranagar can be really close to Banashankari as and when the security guard so desires.
Always ensure that the driver’s not sleeping. I’m not trying to be self righteous here. I’m just trying to help prevent the loss of lives since sleeping on this job could prove fatal.
If you’re from K’mangala or thereabouts and are getting dropped first, nothing could dampen your spirits on your drive home more than bitter, disillusioned, pissed off souls from B’shankari and ‘Put –in-the-halli’.
To quote ‘D’.. “I will know when I will reach home only when I see the list.”
I have made many fake signatures and some real ones of real people way, way, way back in the boarding school to get the hell out of the gate, since without the warden's permission you were not allowed to step out even an inch from the main gate. But I never realized I would end up signing the names of three or four persons every night when the gong strikes 11.30. In the early days, I hardly knew their names. They were hard to memorize since I spent most of my childhood days in Delhi and usually the names went like Rahul, Kiran, Neha, etc,.. easy to remember names. Here, I grabbed them by their locality. Vivek for Viveknagar, Bombol for BEML, Mr Layout for HSR Layout and NGV for NGV... and many more. I always try to think of new names. I mean if you can put it in a halli, great! You're going to Putenahalli. If the first person to be ejected from the cab happens to stay somewhere very far from Mysore (good luck) but called Mysore Road, I sit for more than an hour on the bathtub attached to four wheels. It takes a long, long time to get home after that. And if time is money, gotcha! I am rich!
I have forgotten the name of the person who sits next to me on the tub, and the name of the person who sits next to next to next to the long, oval face of an irritant. But strangely when the time to sign their names come -- on their request since they are often busy themselves -- I sign their names on the space right next to where the location is given. It's like being in some film where the hero keeps forgetting names but remembers them once in a blue moon while running to the loo or in a similar situation.
Anyway, at the end of the day... Correction… Anyway, at the end of the long, long night, I find myself taking time out to listen to the radio and watching the owls fly. A benefit I got from the everyday ride is doing away with the necessity to join an early-morning laughing club. I perform the exercise before I sleep, courtesy the people whose names I don't remember but whose gate numbers I know by heart.

4 Comments:

  1. sugaredpepper said...
    heheh!!! 'whistle stuck in the throat'!! hahahah!!!
    confusion... vaat thee fhuckk is going on here?? hahahhaha!!!!
    Istar Rómestámo said...
    aara dee? indhuh dee?
    sugaredpepper said...
    it is debanish... aka dabba.
    Lolopookie said...
    ah!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home