I wrote this sometime in July... for a college newsletter and that particular issue never got printed... so I thought I'll make use of it... hope it isn't too late....
USHERING IN THE MONSOON
Everyone, I’m sure, has noticed that it’s the beginning of the academic year yet again! Now, that might be enough to dampen most of your spirits, but not mine. Having said that, it doesn’t mean that I’m crazy about my books! My happiness lies in the drastic change in weather. Just ten days back and Bangalore was being bullied by the heat and then monsoon hit and temperatures started falling, rendering it impossible for people to venture out without a sweater in hand. The point is that the onset of monsoon always coincides with the beginning of the academic year, so I have no complaints about having to attend college.
It is important to mention at this point that this article is supposed to be a pleasant one, so I will have to refrain from commenting on the water logging and the frequent power cuts.
As I’m writing this article I can imagine the umbrellas being pulled out and dusted, bright woollen sweaters and mufflers making their way onto the streets and colourful raincoats, glistening wet! It finally feels like the Bangalore I used to know as a child. At that time of course, this was how the city was all year round, more or less. All the bangaloreans will agree with me on that, I’m sure. But reminiscing is beside the point, because it isn’t exactly what one would consider helpful. So instead of sitting around and complaining enjoy the weather while it stays like this, and if it’s inspiring enough, try your hand at poetry. If poetry is too extraordinary for you, turn yourself into a coffee freak. It isn’t my job, however, to tell you what to do.
sheesh - no need to showoff.
Anyway nice article - simple and plain. But it sounded a bit drab. Would have been nice if you were more personal. Why you like the monsoon? - I like monsoon cos it rains and I get wet often. :-)